Nov 21, 2010

The Kinks - Victoria (Live '73)



Still on my Kinks kick this week.

Although I think their performance of the Village Green Preservation Society on this same BBC broadcast was absolutely phenomenal, I posted this song because I think it better represented that moment in time for this reason:

In the beginning of the video, text flies over the screen, "In Concert" and "The Kinks." I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this effect was pulled off by a second camera in another part of the studio in a dark room surrounded by black cloth with only the wood cutout letters illuminated. One person operated the dolly while another person operated the camera, slowly panning up while the dolly operator pushed him forward. The studio director would live-overlay the shot in the exact same moment as the Kinks were beginning, probably less than 20 feet away.

Those kinds of tricks used to happen all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment